There isn't one magic trick or pill that I credit my healthy vocal cords to, but I am happy to share what works and maybe more importantly here, what doesn't work.
I am highly conscious about which foods I eat and which foods I avoid.
Even when your body breaks down, there are a number of actions you can take to maintain your vocal health. To help inspire more healthy singing days, here are the 7 worst foods for singers to avoid:
The 7 Worst Foods For Singers To Avoid!
1. Cheese, yogurt, ice cream, and other dairy products can create phlegm and get in the way of your natural tone.
2. Green vegetables can create gas and bloating that distracts from your breath support.
3. Nuts and snack foods can leave remnants in the throat that can cause you discomfort. You may need to clear out your throat, which can be damaging and abusive to your vocal cords.
4. Spicy foods can cause acid reflux and dry out and irritate your vocal cords. You may need to clear out your throat, which can be damaging and abusive to your cords.
5. Fruits that have acidic properties, such as oranges, lemons, grapes, and pineapple can cause acid reflux and dry out your vocal cords.
6. Fast food and high fat foods cause weight gain and extra strain on your body or voice.
7. Very salty foods and caffeine (sorry, chocolate!), can dry out your body and dry out your throat.
2 Bonus Food Tips
★ Do not perform on an empty stomach!
★ Do not eat food before you sleep, especially foods with acidic properties. Digesting while sleeping or laying on your back increases your chances of triggering acid reflux. In severe cases, the acid from your stomach can float back up and directly damage your vocal cords.